Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Whip It Good


I remember when I got my first pair of roller skates. A 50's Christmas present. They had a red leather saddle toe which I had to lace up and a turn key lock that crimped the skate to the shoe. The skate slid in and out, heel to toe, for sizing. The ball bearing wheels were loud and grinding as my brother and I skated up and down the block, back and forth, in no particular rhythm; I fell a lot but never really minded. It was one step removed from a scooter. There was something poetic about the swaying arms and the semi- gliding legs. The other night, I went to the movie, Whip It. A tidal wave of memories seized my tiny brain...yeah, roller derby, in black and white on the Admiral tele! The Bay Bombers! Ann Calvello and those wild 'do's.' Women stroking the board on skates and gouging each other for position. You had to be into your 4th cold one, a wrestling fan watching the wrong (maybe not) channel, or an adolescent waiting for the mouse club to come on. Who knew that this was cult? Even back then. Roller Derby is the sport that never dies. It's part hard scrabble. Part cheese. And lots of moxie. Women who hold day jobs, strap on the pads, boil mouth pieces and stride out onto the hardwood slapping on bad ass names like, 'Iron Maven, and 'Smashley.' Well, ok, maybe that's Hollywood. I digress though. Whip It is entertaining. And Drew's first film behind the lens. Ellen Page. The rocknroller, Julliete Lewis and the great Marcia Gay Harden. What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment