Wednesday, December 16, 2009

'Are you hungry did you eat before the show?'...


Tis the season. Maybe I'm just a special little freak, but I keep my gifting lists for years. I'm not saying they're stored in some tidy box alphabetically, but they're on my bureau stashed under other scraps of important data, some of which are clearly outdated, like the lunch receipt from In n Out burgers in Davis circa 2007 or the latest alcohol bill from Eddie's liquors. When my nephew and niece, Alex and Iz were younger than they are...little imps running around the playground carefree and wild, the labours of homework and exams but a tiny gleam in their undomesticated eye, I used to agonize over what to get them for the holidays. I soon learned what others had learned before me...that on Christmas morning, all unwrapped goodies became the flavor of the moment. Now that the toys of childhood are almost a distant memory, and the kids have moved to the next level, I find myself indebted to Mr. Lincoln, and Mr. Grant. It's true. Money talks. Cash is king. And I now have more more time to devote to other holiday traditions like uh, baking. In the true spirit of the season, here's a recipe for the best shortbread you'll eat all year: Jed's Shortbread...

1lb salted butter, 1 pinch salt, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/4 cup rice flour, 4 cups flour.
Cream butter, salt and sugar. Add the rice flour, then the other cups of flour
slowly to the point where the dough is not too dry. Shape with cookie cutters
on an 11x17 sheet. Bake 325 for 30-45 minutes. These rock!

1 comment:

  1. definitely gotta bake some of these. when the massive pile of pastry on my counter eventually disappears.

    ReplyDelete