Thursday, March 11, 2010

Turkey lurkey


I have a wild turkey shot glass which I am very fond of. It's cradled shots of Napa port, Tunisian brandy, agave tequila, and various scotch malts. I purchased that and a couple of bottles of Kentucky bourbon on a hot summer day along a winding road, outside of Louisville, which had few cars and fewer houses. I found out later that distillery's like refinery's are set apart from populated areas in case something goes 'boom' in the middle of the night. So, imagine my surprise today, when my next door neighbor pounded on my door and said that there were turkeys on the garage roof in our backyard. Incredulous, I grabbed my camera; we popped some windows in her living room and I started shooting. There were 6 turkeys. In Oakland. Birds not people. WTF? They were roosting and preening in the sun...exact replicas of the wild turkey etched on my shot glass. Sleuthing online brought up these facts. California wild turkeys are really part of the Rio Grande species. They eat grubs and nuts, and live in wooded areas. Obviously these turkeys were oblivious to the zip code. Turkeys can fly, but not very far. And they are, like some of the Mormon sect, polygamous. Hmmm. They don't share that little fact in Science 101. Where did the turkeys come from? Were they lost? Or do they secretly live 5 doors down from me. All cities hoard mysteries. This appears to be one of them. At the end of the day, I'll think of those brown birds, the ones Ben Franklin lobbied for as our national bird (god almighty), splash a drink into that Kentucky shot glass and hoist one to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment