Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday scatter shots


1. I finished the last book in the Steig Larsson trilogy, "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," (ordered it from the UK) and felt as if my best friend had up and died leaving me to ponder the organics of life. I came to these books late. Why? Because my hard-wired alternative brain couldn't fathom that a man had the brass to postulate, compose and fashion a contemporary series featuring an ass kicking feminist hero. So I waited. And waited. Until all the pub died down. But, the first book, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" has never left the Times best seller list; it is an international sensation. A phenomenon. Steig Larsson (I experienced some P envy over Salander et al) died before the trilogy was published. His books have secured a niche in a genre that is accomplished, populated and jaded. I saw the movie 3 days after it opened in SF. Noomi Rapace is the Swedish actor who plays Lisbeth Salander. From production stills, I thought she was badly miscast. Too old. Too goth. Blah. Blah. She is perfect. Flawed. Compelling. Edgy. Rapace channels Salander, the genius computer hack. The last Swedish movie I experienced was a Bergman in college. The images from "The Seventh Seal"still gives me the willies. So, it's been a long time between Scandavian drinks. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" smashed all box office records in Sweden and has been scorching the Euro market. There are rumblings that a Hollywood film version is in the works. Of course! But, why screw with perfection(a common theme today...see # 4). I almost tossed back a drink and fired up a smoke when I heard the news. Salander would have liked that.

2. Cause and effect. In March, car sales were up for Toyota by 40%. This on the heels of the Jan./Feb. recall.

3. The Slanted Door a Vietnamese restaurant in San Francisco deep fried the competition. It grossed 15.9 million last year. That's 350,000 meals. 950 covers a day. Pho you.

4. Greed. The NCAA is taking the most perfect 2 week sports event and turning it on it's head for more greenbacks. The men's college basketball tournament will now move from 65-96 teams. Wake me when they figure the logistics out.

1 comment:

  1. what are those books about? I've been hearing a lot of things about them...

    ReplyDelete