Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Burning Daylight

1. Have I really been playing hooky for a month? Uh, not really. But, a flight of fancy (domestic biz) did transport me out of Cali to Aloha land. No malasadas. No Lappert's. Not even a finger of poi. It was that sad. The wheel of fortune is a fickle bird. Sometimes you cavort. And sometimes the cavorting flat lines. So, there I was caught in the middle of a tropical rainstorm... For 24 hours the islands were pummeled by rain which originated from Kauai and then sourced (mid stream)  the big island of Hawaii. Huh? I didn't understand it either and just enjoyed the show. Diamond Head lay shrouded behind a wall of mist. It was a different look for the old lady. I finally did stop at the Liliha Bakery for dinner. 24/6 days a week. And ate at the counter which might accommodate 16 diners? No rez. Just a line out the door. Every single day. I had the mahimahi. Two fillets as big as my head. For dessert, the coco puffs. Yeah, island style.

2. Ina Donna Coolbrith, California's first Poet Laureate, had a birthday on Sunday the 10th. I passed her gravestone today and chest bumped her.

3. The Pope. An Argentinian. Who knew? Was Vegas laying odds? Jose Bergoglio. 100-1. There's no crying in Argentina today.

4. Banshee. On Cinemax. The most interesting, provocative character in cable history: Hoon Lee as Job. More of him, please.

5. Almost March Madness. Congratulations to the Cal Bears Women's Basketball team who won the Pac 12 title. A first. Coach G, Lindsay Gottlieb, brought the slamma jamma.


1 comment:

  1. sometimes the rain must fall my friend, even in paradise.

    ReplyDelete