Thursday, July 23, 2009

Moon Shots


For reasons having more to do with life-style than anything else I don't quite have that bulletproof recollection of where exactly I was when Armstrong and Aldrin landed. I don't think I gave the event more than a passing thought because I was on my own trajectory somewhere in Europe arguing with my first girl friend in every major city we put our footprint on. It wasn't pretty. The other night TCM showed 'The Right Stuff.' I had never seen the film (when it first came out I thought it would be hokey, cornball Americana) and of course I sat there mesmerized and enthralled by the story. The next day archived newspaper coverage of the moon landing made for good reading; 'brothers on earth, and brothers in space' kept cycling through the media...circa 1969/1970...ah, in a city far far away, on the West coast, I recall now that my friends and I were engaged in the struggle to remind the world that 'women hold up half the sky.'

2 comments:

  1. while you were working on the revolution, I was a child at home, whose rebellion included such disruptions as burning incense in the basement and listening to Crosby Stills and Nash at very high volume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CSN. One of my favorite albums. Good job. Basements= prime time rebellion!

    ReplyDelete