Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The 'Snoop'



You know how some people are addicted to chocolate? I'm addicted to Anthony Bourdain's show, 'No Reservations.' There's something so ridiculously obscene, so voyeuristic in watching the foodie guru partake of the cuisine of distant countries and familiar cities. Sometimes, it's like a religious epiphany. But as he would say, I digress. I was couched out the other evening watching him render what he could from the 'rust belt' environs of our country..when he began the Baltimore section by referencing and paying homage to the 'greatest television series of all time,The Wire.' I perked up! There was the lucky bastard with Felicia 'Snoop' Pearson who showed up to tuck in with him along the way. Uh, the same 'Snoop' who was called by Stephen King the most chilling female assassin to ever air on a television series. Yeah, that, 'Snoop' Pearson. Eavesdropping, we learn that 'Snoop' at the age of 14 was convicted of 2nd degree murder, and sent to the slammer; she earned her GED and was released in 2000. Michael K Williams who plays Omar Little was pivotal in her landing the role on the Wire. 'Snoop' is a rapper, and a writer, and she is active in helping to prevent youth violence by working through her own youth drama organization, 'Moving Mountains.' I remember talking to my sister after Snoop's character made her sensational debut on the show. My sister was convinced she was a boy. I however knew differently. Beneath the baggies and the hoody...after years of practiced recognition in public places, and darkened bars, I knew that tribal look. Sometimes, it takes one to know one...

2 comments:

  1. assumed androgyny is such a fascinating phenomenon, each female in disguise has her own reason. Not all are dykes, especially when girls are little, and being a boy seems a lot more fun (at least in the 60s) Snoop mastered it (mistressed?), Dan and I had the same arguments, but I convinced him Snoop was she.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes out of necessity, sometimes out of mischief, females in disguise...always mysterious. Good eye, Lynnie.

    ReplyDelete