Thursday, January 7, 2010

Flu You


There I was on the 2010 playing field; the ball arcing in the sky, a beautiful spiral, the nubby laces invisible as it laid out in front of my hands...the crowd roaring in anticipation(me too), and then, Kerchunk. All the padding: the drills, the vitamins, and hand washing; the media barking...none of it mattered. You have to be lucky. And those of you who know me, know that I'd rather be lucky than good. It wasn't in the cards. No bullet proofing. No leafy greens. No effing Flu shot saved my unlucky ass. Laid low by a tiny bug mysteriously and often named after my culture. This was a b**tch. Completely humbled. There was first the denial. My tiny brain fingered the cold family. Scratchy throat. uh-huh. Cold. Dry cough. ditto. Headache? Hmmm. Time to google. I don't remember too much after that. The flu family shoved my weak cold diagnosis over the cliff and made camp. In my house. My vegetarian sister said it was payback for the Big Macs I ingested. Night and day blurred. Chills. Body ache. And the worst culprit, headaches. Constantly. Jane brought over the Sunday newspapers and 7up ( when sick revert to childhood remedies). John brought chicken pho, lemons and potatoes. It's crazy. No appetite for days. Then a craving for baked potatoes. Blame the fever. It only cost me $10,000 worth of therapy to ask for those things. My workout gal pals whom I love texted constantly. My Dr whom I love too piled on pneumonia, but gave me the keys to the car. Today, I can tell I've almost turned the corner because I remember the first 2010 movie I watched in Petaluma sitting on the couch while everyone else had turned in...'Rollerball.' Jimmy Caan. Still an interesting film even today.

1 comment:

  1. hope you're feeling better. send mucho love and cyber chicken soup

    ReplyDelete