Wednesday, January 13, 2010

True Confessions


I think that was the title of a magazine in the 50's? I remember stumbling across a pile of them strewn under my uncle's bed. It was filled with stories that didn't really make any sense to me...men and women (loose) spilling the beans on some juicy indiscretion. The other day, Mark McGwire, croc tears and all apologized to the children of the corn (er,earth) for his use of PED's. Really? Hmmm. What a coincidence. A public apology 2 months before McGwire's new coaching job with the Cardinals. Was anyone really surprised by the revelation? The only people who blinked and swallowed hard were probably the ones who live in Balco-ville, CA... out there by the splash cove and the big Cola mitt. The sports world biggest asset is it's short term memory. Public mea culpa's are embraced. I get that McGwire wants to put the past behind and move on. But he failed miserably on the essential point: his denial that PED's helped tilt all those records. I laughed. How gullible do you think we are? Yeah, he cried. And he should have. For all those cheating years. For the Maris family. What a debacle. Think Roger took 'roids when he broke the Babe's record? Or how about hammering Hank Aaron? One final note. McGwire spoke about his body breaking down and the pivotal role PED's played in recovery. Huh? There's a guy I know who wore #8 for the Baltimore Orioles and played over 2600 consecutive games. Cal Ripken jr. That's my kind of hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment